- This event has passed.
SAT: Rally & March- No Billionaire Budget! Invest in NY Instead
March 18 @ 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Join the Invest in Our New York Campaign and Alliance for Quality Education on Saturday, March 18th at Columbus Circle to demand the state legislature reject Governor Hochul’s billionaire budget & instead invest in working-class communities.
Gov. Hochul’s billionaire budget shortchanges our communities through:
- A proposal to raise the cap on charter schools taking critical public dollars from our public education system;
- A minimum wage proposal that means the lowest-wage workers in our state will continue to get crushed under rising costs;
- A proposal on housing ignores the hundreds of thousands of homeless New Yorkers who need to be housed right now, and those at risk of becoming homeless. It ignores tenants and puts real-estate interests first;
- A proposal on child care that continues to exclude undocumented children and leaves childcare educators in poverty;
- A failure to address programs of critical need, like the Unemployment Bridge Program or ensuring everyone in our state has access to health care coverage; and
- Proposals to raise revenue through a regressive payroll tax, which will fall on workers, and through increasing taxes on tobacco, increased tuition for public higher education, and fare hikes on the MTA. All these costs will fall on working-class people already bearing the brunt of inflation.