Breaking the Silence: Intergenerational Call for Unity and Action:
April 4, 2021 @ 2:30 PM
Public reading of Martin Luther King Jr.’s prophetic speech: Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence”, followed by webinar discussion of its current implications. More Info:
- (Introduction) Rev. Richard Fernandez of Clergy and Laity Concerned, sponsor of Dr. King’s address at The Riverside Church
- (Moderator) Dr. Barbara Ransby – Author, Historian, Professor, and Activist (Making All Black Lives Matter, Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement)
- Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson – Community Organizer and Co-Executive Director, Highlander Research and Education Center
- Bill McKibben – Climate Action Leader (350.org)
- Dr. Corrine Sanchez – Executive Director, Tewa Women United
- Medea Benjamin – International Political Activist, Co-Founder of Code Pink (for bios of speakers, click here)
Prepare for April 4th by watching Michelle Alexander, the author of “The New Jim Crow”, give a phenomenal eight-minute speech about King’s “Beyond Vietnam” address at the 50th-anniversary program of The Riverside Church. See it by clicking here.
Co-sponsors: SNCC Legacy Project, National Council of Elders, Vietnam Peace Commemoration Committee, The Highlander Research and Education Center, National Black Justice Coalition, Zinn Education Project, Voices of a People’s History, Fellowship of Reconciliation, National Civil Rights Museum, and Cleveland Peace Action.