Climate Action Continues! Sign Petition and more…
To all of you who attended Brooklyn For Peace’s forum Climate Crisis: The Military and the Green New Deal, we hope our speakers and the discussion illuminated the many connections between the climate crisis, the bloated Pentagon budget, and the environmentally disastrous practices of the military.
We wanted to share with you some of the event highlights, our petition and loads of information about this BFP Climate Action Campaign.
An immediate action you can take is read, sign and share our petition to the Brooklyn Congressional delegation. If you represent an organization, please add its name as well. Sharing the petition within your networks and encouraging people and organizations to sign is a great way to get others involved and heighten visibility to our elected representatives.
We now have a new informative climate action brochure. Global Wars, Warming, and Inequality: Three Interconnected Crises Threatened Our Planet
Materials from the Forum
The Slide Presentations:
Lorah Steichen of National Priorities Project, Institute of Policy Studies Presentation
No Warming No War: How Military Fuels the Climate Crisis and Vice Versa
Heidi Peltier, Assistant Research Professor of Political Science and Director of the Cost of War Project at Boston University
Transitioning from Military Spending to Alternatives: Job Creation Effects
You can watch the The forum (full) Video here or on Youtube.
Please join us in going forward to build a strong movement to address the climate crisis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more involved.
Charlotte Phillips, M.D., Chairperson
Natasha Santos, Program Coordinator
Betta Broad, BFP Board Member, Climate Action Working Group
Links and further reading
- Open Letter to Climate Envoy John Kerry: Center Militarism in Climate Talks, initiated by Climate Crisis and Militarism Working Group, Veterans For Peace
- United States Budgetary Costs of the Post-9/11 Wars Through FY2019: $5.9 Trillion Spent and Obligated Neta C. Crawford (Nov. 2018)
- Veterans for Peace: Climate Crisis and Militarism Working Group
- No Warming No War: Brochure by National Priorities Project and Institute for Policy Studies
- Bill to Require President Declare a Climate Emergency
- Pentagon poised to go greener under Biden
- Cost of War Report on Military Emissions
- Job Opportunity Cost of War (Heidi Peltier, May 2017)
Cut Military Spending, Fund Green Manufacturing (Heidi Peltier, Nov 2019
- Peace Groups Urge Support for PRO Act (Protect the Right to Organize)
- Jobs, Guaranteed: Pavlina R. Tcherneva, associate professor at Bard College and research scholar at the Levy Economics Institute and the author of The Case for a Job Guarantee (Polity, 2020), talks about the Modern Monetary Theory and why it allows for full employment at a living wage — even now.
- Take action for clean energy and climate in New York State. See the community calendar at New Yorkers for Clean Power