JOBS NOT WARS
is a new national campaign that has over 130 sponsoring organizations and has collected over 50,000 signatures on an online petition to inject the question of out-of-control military spending into the debate on the budget.
And YOU can be be part of it.
JOBS NOT WARS is a time-limited, nation-wide petition campaign to urge the president and congress to abandon austerity solutions to the deficit and instead to end the war, cut military spending, tax the super-rich, and redirect resources to restore and protect the social safety net, create jobs, deal with climate change and meet other urgent social needs.
The petition demands, among other things, that the Congress and President —
- End the war in Afghanistan now, bring all our troops home and care for and support them upon their return.
- Create good jobs at living wages: invest in our communities and our people to sustainably grow the economy and put people back to work.
- Assure communities devastated by hurricane Sandy, that reconstruction is performed in the public interest with full transparency under the direction and control of local, state and federal governments and is accountable to the people.
- Redirect our nation’s resources from war and uncontrolled Pentagon spending to fund social programs and public services, protect and improve Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, repair the social safety net, meet the challenge of climate change, and reduce poverty and inequality.
- Require those at the top of the income ladder, giant corporations and financial speculators to pay their fair share of taxes.
To read the full text of the petition, click here.
The campaign seeks to forcefully inject the question of uncontrolled Pentagon budgets and endless wars into the budget debate in Congress. The discussion in Washington and the media ignores bloated war spending while focusing instead on possible cuts to vital public services such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Look to the Pentagon first! That’s where all the money is. We can cut billions and still protect America. Unnecessary and wasteful spending simply maintains huge profits for military contractors and does not make our country more secure.
- The Pentagon receives more money than it needs in its budget. This year it is holding more than $100 billion in unobligated (surplus) funds.
- The Pentagon is the only federal agency NOT subject to an annual audit. In one year, the Pentagon loses, wastes or misspends more than the combined budgets of 5 other departments: State, Interior, Commerce, Justice & Energy.
- There are lots of places in the bloated run-away Pentagon budget where cuts could be made that won’t impact national security – waste, fraud and abuse, weapons systems that don’t work for use against enemies that no longer exist, and more.
Here’s what you can do right now:
- Sign the online petition. It’s easy! Just CLICK HERE to sign online at the Jobs Not Wars website.
- Copy the link to an email and then send it to your contact list so this petition goes viral:
- Get your organization to endorse the campaign and promote the petition. That will spread the campaign to thousands of others. Time is of the essence so contact your organization’s directors right away. The debate is taking place in Congress right now. Organizational endorsements can be made here: Organizational edorsement form
- Download and then carry a paper version of the petition to have others sign on. Not everyone has access to a computer. Return the petition to the BFP office: BFP, 41 Schermerhorn Street PMB 106, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Get the paper petition here.
If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to build this campaign, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org – Thank you.
Next meeting of Peace and Economic Justice Committee:
Thursday January 10, 2013, 7 pm.
E-mail email@example.com or call 718-624-5921 for confirmation and location.